Losing an hour of sleep is the only downside to Daylight Savings, but what if I told you in exchange for a lost hour there’s a solution for gaining something even better, like gorgeous skin?!
Picture this: a beauty mask so powerful it can heal acne scarring, deep clean skin, promote skin cell reproduction and hydration, AND help maintain healthy hair – with the help of water or raw apple cider vinegar. Sounds too perfect, right? Wrong! Such a mask exists and is labeled as “the world’s most powerful facial and beauty product”: Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay. This miracle clay is even good to your budget! It can be purchased for $10.95 at www.etanabeauty.com, Amazon, or in most drugstores.
What is it and why is it so powerful?
Aztec Healing Clay is 100% calcium bentonite clay, a form of volcanic ash mined in Death Valley, California – yes, this clay comes from the Earth. It’s odorless and grey-green in color with a velvety texture. When mixed with liquid, it forms a paste that will dry once applied. It is loaded with minerals (calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium, silica and sodium), which is the key to this mask’s power.
Thank God I paid attention in chemistry, because here’s where science gets involved: the makeup of the molecules in this clay carry a negative ion charge. Toxins, impurities and pollutants are comprised of positive ions. What makes the clay so beneficial is its ability to attract and stick to positive ions. The clay also removes excess hydrogen from your skin cells and replaces it with oxygen: AKA hydration!
Now that we got its chemistry out of the way, here’s what that actually means: once mixed with water (or apple cider vinegar) and applied to a freshly-washed face, the negatively charged clay bonds to the positively charged toxins and draws out all of the junk from your skin! While the clay is drying, you’re going to feel a strong tightening and pulsating sensation. This is normal and is a result of its strength. While it’s drawing out impurities, it’s also increasing blood circulation at full speed, which is the cause behind a quick turnover of skin cells!
Once removed, your skin will be red for up to 30 minutes. That is normal – think of it as your blood working at the surface of your skin to heal. With once weekly use over a 4-8 week period, this mask is successful in healing acne scarring and regenerating skin tissue. It prevents breakouts and blackheads by reducing oil production, and unclogging and shrinking pores, which leaves skin soft and glowing. This mask is also super effective at cleaning your scalp and getting rid of any buildup and dandruff – what it does for your skin, it will do for your hair with the added benefit of hair growth.
Important tips for successfully using Aztec Healing Clay on your skin and hair
- TEST PATCH FIRST! Apply a small amount of clay to your inner forearm to test your skin’s sensitivity. If a rash appears, discontinue use immediately.
- DO NOT use any metal bowls or spoons when mixing the clay. Metal decreases the clay’s effectiveness thanks to chemistry. Plastic, glass or wooden bowls and spoons are the best options.
- Apple Cider Vinegar should be 100% raw, organic, unfiltered, and with-the-mother. I like Bragg the most.
- Best used before a shower because the mask is messy when rinsing off.
- Mix 1-2 tablespoons of clay with equal parts ACV or filtered water for sensitive skin. Stir the mixture until it is a smooth paste. If it’s too watery, add more clay. If it’s too clumpy, add *a little* more ACV or filtered water.
- Apply to freshly cleaned and exfoliated skin with bare hands, an applicator or a small brush.
- Leave on up to 10 minutes for delicate skin or 20 for normal. Rinse with warm water. Continue with your regular nighttime serums, oils, and moisturizers.
- Your hair should be wet, but not clean.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of clay with equal parts ACV.
- Apply to your roots (imagine you’re dying your hair) and make sure it’s massaged into your scalp. You can apply any leftover clay to the rest of your hair.
- Leave on up to 30 minutes. Rinse well in the shower – you can shampoo and condition following this mask. Be sure to comb out any excess clay. Style as usual.
Of course, you will not see results overnight. I noticed a difference in my skin after the third week, using once-weekly. I didn’t start to feel the tingling or pulsating sensation until my second use, so if you don’t feel that on your first try don’t worry! You have to give your skin some time to adjust and restore. Consistency is key.