Recently, Jessica Maiuro visited us at our coworking space at Industrious to tell us all about Better Than Milk® , a plant-based milk alternative. We learned about this delicious and healthy replacement for our milk and made some almond kale smoothies!
Better Than Milk® is a line of delicious and creamy tasting, organic, non-dairy, plant-based, alt-milk drinks, they are non-GMO verified, and free of preservatives. People who enjoy milk but choose not to drink cow’s milk for either diet or health reasons, such as dairy-free lifestyle, or for those that are lactose intolerant, really enjoy this line of organic beverages. And that we offer several varieties depending upon what kind of taste they’re looking for, OAT, RICE or ALMOND based ingredients, so we have a flavor for everyone.
Free from artificial flavors, stabilizers, emulsifiers, fillers, so a more natural taste, not modified; 70-80% of other non dairy milks use artificial stabilizers, like carrageenan or chemical additives; Our plant-based milks have no filler ingredients, thickeners, and no sulfites or soy either, which some consumers also try to avoid.
- The other thing that’s fairly unique about Better Than Milk is our sourcing of the Raw Materials, using all ORGANIC, Non-GMO verified ingredients:
- RICE – from organic farmers in farm plains of Northern Italy, Piedmont and Lombardy regions (which is also the region of some of the best Italian wines!) near Milan; not using pesticides so water run-off from the rice fields doesn’t pollute the local streams
- ALMONDS – from Sicily, southern Italian island full of sunshine, the organic farmers do not use pesticides. This is crucial, to maintaining healthy bee colonies, whereas many other almond drinks may source their Almonds from California, where 99% of the worlds almond crop is coming from, those CALI growers primarily do use chemicals & pesticides for growing almond trees, an is really harmful to BEEs
- HAZELNUTS – from Lazio region, near Rome, again, only organic farms
- OATS – naturally GLUTEN FREE variety of oats grown in Finland and Denmark, organic farmers
Jessica made us a smoothie using their almond milk alternative, kale, bananas, and agave, and then we had some fun with a topping party! We added some chia on top, raspberries for a fun pink color, a little bit of hemp seed, and then a bunch of chocolate chips for some sweetness. It was delicious and we couldn’t even taste the difference.
Better Than Milk® is a local New Jersey business, but their milk is actually made mainly in a facility at the base of the gorgeous Lessini Mountains in Italy, meaning they tap into fresh mountain spring water to use in their milk alternatives. Hydrating and healthy!
These shelf stable, organic liquid drinks start with the simplest ingredients and combine them with Italian spring water that originates 450 meters above sea level in the Lessini Mountains in Northern Italy about half hour west of Venice.
Better Than Milk has a reduced carbon footprint as the production facility is located in the small village in at the base of the mountain spring, directly downstream from fresh natural mountain springs, its not from tap, not distilled from ground wells; mountain stream is the direct source right into the village, only filtered for sediment, leaving in all natural minerals; no other facility has access to this mountain spring, which makes it completely unique.
You can find Better Than Milk in retail stores in the shelf-stable aisle at Safeway, Thrive Market, and more, on Amazon, and at https://drinkbetterthanmilk.com/. Get a 25% discount on their unsweetened variety when you shop directly on their website!
Better Than Milk® Avocado and Kale Smoothie Bowl
| makes roughly 1 bowl |
- 1 cup kale leaves
- 1 cup Better Than Milk® Unsweetened Almond drink
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup ice
- 1 Tbsp. agave syrup, plus additional for serving
- ½ cup raspberries
- 1 kiwi, sliced
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Blend the kale, almond milk, ½ of the banana, avocado, ice, and 1 tablespoon of the agave until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with the raspberries, kiwi, chia seeds, remaining ½ banana, and a drizzle of agave.