#HipNJ spent the weekend in the Big Apple at the New York Denim Days Festival!
This two-day, indigo-soaked affair featured some of the top brands in denim, new designers, vintage good and musical performances by country sensation and vintage purveyor Nikki Lane.
Title Sponsor TENCEL™ branded fibers by Lenzing was on site with interactive displays and shop-in-shops stocked with a selection of garments using its fiber from top brands, including 3X1, Mavi, Reformation, Godfather of Denim and more.
Some of the many highlights included:
- A Denim Talks speaker series that featured a who’s who in the denim world. Speakers included “The Evolution of Denim + A Peek at the Future” with Jordan Nodarse of Reformation, Adriano Goldschmied of Genius group, Scott Morrison of 3×1 and Tricia Carey of TENCEL™; as well as an influencer panel with Lamont Howard, Kim Geronimo, Alexandra Machover, Sarah Funk and Bryan Griffin.
- Denim Days featured on-site book signings and a chance to meet-and-greet with denim authors including Amy Leverton (Denim Dudes, Denim: Street Style, Vintage, Obsession), Andrew Luecke (COOL: Style, Sound and Subversion), Peter Van Rhoon (Book of Denim Vol. 2), Doug Gunn and Roy Lucket (Worn x Kingpins, The Vintage Showroom: An Archive of Menswear) and Nick Williams (Denim Branded: Jeanswear’s Evolving Design Details).
- Cult-favorite brand Atelier & Repairs is an initiative to eliminate the world’s excess, one stitch at a time. They have a mission to not create anything new, but instead transform what already exists. At the 2018 Denim Days Festival, Atelier & Repairs challenged students of New York City’s Fashion High School to transform a $5 T-shirt into a garment of their own design. The winners were two young women from the high school, who received a mentorship by Atelier & Repairs creator Maurizo Donaldi.
- Popular women’s fashion brand Madewell represented a “Blue Jeans Go Green” initiative, where guests were invited to recycle old pairs of denim in exchange for $20 toward a new pair.
- Former New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan continued his foray into the fashion industry with a new collection of denim, which celebrated its launch at New York Denim Days. M BY MICHAEL STRAHAN was inspired by the direction of casual fashion in the industry, and the line features quality products at an affordable price.
For more on the New York Denim Days Festival, visit Denim-Days.com.