Did you ever hear that saying, “you can take the girl out of Jersey but you can’t take Jersey out of the girl”? Well, one thing we all know is that if you are from New Jersey you love yourself some leopard print. Let’s face it, it’s a classic print that will never go out of style because it will always be fun and daring while also remaining timelessly chic.
Back in the day animal print adorned the homes and wardrobes of royalty as a way to communicate wealth, status and power. Luckily today, animal print lovers and fashion enthusiasts don’t have to be royal to get these exotic prints because nowadays they are extremely reasonably priced.
Anyone can easily incorporate this print into their own wardrobe or decor. You may even be as bold as to wear multiple leopard prints at once! As my aunt always says “you can never have enough leopard!” So with that mantra in mind, here are a few things to keep in mind when shopping.
Welcome to the Jungle: tips for styling leopard print
- First, know the difference: A lot of people mistakenly mix up leopard print and cheetah print but, there is a difference between the two fabulous felines. A leopard has inconsistent black, horseshoe-shaped spots with a brown center inside whereas a cheetah has solid black spots that are equally spaced.
- Go fierce or be forgotten: Add some big ferocious flare to any outfit by making leopard print or cheetah print your outerwear of choice. No one will forget a statement animal print jacket!
- Let them roam in pairs. Don’t be afraid to mix multiple leopard patterns together or even add in another animal print. You don’t have to stick with pairing just black or denim. Be bold and even add a pop of color like orange or red…or maybe even floral print!
- Choose one statement piece. If mixing and matching is too much for you, start small with one piece. Whether it is your jacket, your shirt, or your pants it automatically turns what could be a boring outfit funky.
- Get textural with your choices. Nothing says fashionista like animal print faux fur or mohair. Some great options are shoes and bags with these textures.
- Make a small piece roar. Create a purrrfectly fabulous outfit with a small hint of leopard. Accessories are easy to play around with when you are not comfortable wearing a larger piece. How about some jewelry, sunglasses, clutches, or hats to start off with? Even the tiniest touch of animal print in your outfit can give it a little edgy elegance.
- Think jungle. There’s something extra luxurious about leopard print paired with a big, leafy palm pattern. Any plans for a beach vacation? Bathing suits, cover-ups and beach bags are great ways to mix and match these two prints.
- Add a little color: Designers have pushed the envelope by creating more than the traditional leopard and cheetah prints by adding lots of vibrant colors. You don’t have to stick to the basic neutral tones opt for a blue or pink leopard print to really add some flair.
Our Favorite Animal Print Pieces
12TH TRIBE gold blouse
OLD NAVY sweater dress
BLOOMINGDALE’S faux fur jacket
AMAZON shein one shoulder blouse
AMAZON dolce vita booties
AMAZON cheetah blouse
SOCIETY6 gym bag
KIDENHOUSE hooded windbreaker
BLOOMINGDALE’S jogger set
ASOS platform heels
ONE KINGS LANE marceau corner chair
MATT & NAT sunglasses